DINA for the issue of July 26, 2013
![]() | Friday July 26, 2013 | Ramazan 16, 1434 | |||||||||||||
| The DAWN Internet News Alert (DINA) is a free daily news service from Pakistan’s largest English language newspaper, the Daily DAWN. | ||||||||||||||
|
| |||||||||||||
Cabinet wants extension of quota systemBy Khawar GhummanISLAMABAD, July 25: The federal cabinet decided on Thursday to extend the quota system in central civil services for 20 years. An official handout said the government had decided to continue with the existing arrangements under which every province held a certain quota in civil services. | ||||||||||||||
Attack on ISI office; body of 5th bomber foundBy Waseem ShamsiSUKKUR, July 25: The body of another suicide bomber was found on Thursday in the parking area of the ISI office which had been attacked on Wednesday. According to official sources, three ISI officials and a brother of the gardener of the Commissioner House were killed in the attack. Reports on Wednesday said that four attackers had been killed. | ||||||||||||||
NA, Senate sessions summonedBy Syed Irfan RazaISLAMABAD, July 25: On the advice of the prime minister, acting President Nayyar Hussain Bokhari has summoned separate sessions of the National Assembly and Senate on July 29 for the presidential election to be held the following day. According to an official announcement, the sessions will commence at 4pm. | ||||||||||||||
PM seeks support of JUI-F, Fata senators for MamnoonBy Our Staff ReporterISLAMABAD, July 25: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif stepped up the campaign for Mamnoon Hussain, the PML-N nominee for the presidential election, on Thursday. He received a delegation of Fata senators at his office and sought their support for Mr Hussain. An official handout stated that they had discussed the overall political situation in the country, but a PML-N source said the prime minister urged the lawmakers to vote for Mr Hussain. | ||||||||||||||
PM’s aviation adviser tells SC he will quit postBy Nasir IqbalISLAMABAD, July 25: Facing a controversy over having been court-martialled and holding Canadian citizenship, Adviser to the Prime Minister on Aviation Shujaat Azeem appeared before the Supreme Court on Thursday and informed it that he had decided to resign from the post. “Since he (Shujaat Azeem) is embroiled in the controversy which he does not want to expand because it will hamper his performance, he is tendering his resignation,” Attorney General Muneer A. Malik said on behalf of the adviser. | ||||||||||||||
20 decomposed bodies found in BaraBy Ibrahim ShinwariLANDI KOTAL, July 25: Twenty decomposed bodies were found in a deserted place in Bara area of Khyber Agency on Thursday. According to an official, the bodies found in Khawangi area of Akkakhel, where security personnel are carrying out a search operation after claiming to have flushed out militants from their hideouts last week, were decomposed beyond recognition and stank because they had been lying in a ravine for many days. | ||||||||||||||
Train derails in Gujranwala; 3 dieBy Akram MalikGUJRANWALA, July 25: Three people were crushed to death and several others injured when a Rawalpindi-bound train came off the tracks in a crowded area here on Thursday. The dead and injured were vegetable and fruit vendors and their customers present between the tracks and the G.T. Road at the time of the derailment. The train passengers remained safe in the accident near the Gondalanwala Chowk. | ||||||||||||||
Task force on missing people to meet on 29thBy Iftikhar A. KhanISLAMABAD, July 25: A recently-constituted task force on missing people will hold its first meeting on Monday (July 29). Headed by an additional secretary of the interior ministry, Athar Sial, the task force comprises home secretaries of the four provinces, additional attorney general, a member of the Commission of Inquiry on Enforced Disappearances, additional inspectors-general of special branches of the four provinces and additional chief secretaries. | ||||||||||||||
Ambiguity over US officials’ visitBy Baqir Sajjad SyedISLAMABAD, July 25: It’s not only the US Secretary of State, John Kerry, who’s keeping his hosts in Pakistan guessing about his travel plans, but Special Envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan James Dobbins is also following his boss by not confirming if he is coming to Islamabad over the weekend. Officials at the Foreign Office were till Thursday afternoon desperately trying to find out from the US Embassy if Mr Dobbins was sticking to his schedule. But the embassy wasn’t of any help either and asked those contacting from the Foreign Office, much to their chagrin, to wait and see. | ||||||||||||||
| To subscribe or unsubscribe to this mailing list, please fill the form located at: http://www.dawn.com/alerts | ||||||||||||||
| DAWN Media Group, Haroon House, Karachi 74200, Pakistan | Copyright © 2013 Pakistan Herald Publications (Pvt.) Ltd. | |||||||||||||


0 comments:
Post a Comment